Carol Smith (@carologic) is a Senior Research Scientist in Human-Machine Interaction at Carnegie Mellon University’s Software Engineering Institute and an adjunct instructor for CMU’s Human-Computer Interaction Institute (HCII). She has been conducting user research to improve the human experience across industries for 20 years and working to improve AI systems since 2015. Carol holds an M.S. in Human-Computer Interaction from DePaul University. She is an active community organizer – including helping to plan the World IA Day celebrations in Pittsburgh, PA – where she enjoys outdoor activities with her family, running and playing soccer.
- AI for IA’s: Machine Learning Demystified (2017 Main Conference Talk)
- Ethics & AI: Designing for Health (2017 Main Conference Talk)
- Empower Yourself. Negotiate for the User (2012 Main Conference Talk)
- IA in the Age of AI: Embracing Abstraction and Change (2018 Main Conference Talk)
- Navigating Challenges in IA People Management (2019 Main Conference Talk)