Pre-Conference WorkshopTopic(s): content, content modeling, and information architecture
Tuesday, May 12, 2020
4:00 PM–8:00 PM EDT.
IAs, content strategists, and UXers responsible for designing the digital experiences that support large content collections have long used spreadsheets to understand, refine, and revise content data. Most of us, however, have never had any formal training in how to effectively use spreadsheets as content analysis tools. This workshop helps participants move beyond using spreadsheets merely as glorified tables and gives them the tools they need to use them as the powerful and ubiquitous data manipulation engines they are.
- Introduction: Understanding content as data
- Content Data Grooming & Hygiene: Healthy data is useful data
- Content Inventories: Introduction and basic technique
- Content Audits: Introduction and basic technique
- Advanced Analysis with Pivot Tables: Introduction to pivot concept, learn to “pivot” data at key points in Inventory and Audit examples to generate new insight.
- Putting It All Together: Problem solving strategies for applying core data principles everywhere
About the speaker(s)
Andy Fitzgerald is an independent digital experience designer with applied expertise in design research, information architecture, interaction design, and prototyping. He works with organizations of all sizes to create elegant solutions to complex information problems.
Prior to forming his own practice, Andy held design and director positions with Frog Design and Deloitte Digital where he tackled the problem of effective communication in complex information spaces for a wide range of client organizations in healthcare, education, financial services, retail, entertainment, and transportation. Andy is an active member of the IA and experience design communities and has spoken and led workshops at UX and IA Conferences all over the world.