Discord offers messaging and audio chat options for mixed networking options. It’s an emerging communication platform that has come out of the pandemic as a heavy contender where people gather around to hang out.
From the attendee point of view, you’ll have more context around the people you interact with and control over how you want to experience the conference. You’ll see that we’ve put a lot of thought behind digital wayfinding.
Registered workshop and conference attendees will be able to:
- Introduce yourselves to other attendees before the conference/workshop
- Chat with other attendees during the conference
- Receive timely announcements
- Post and respond to job announcements
- Report issues and ask questions to the volunteers and co-chairs
- Chat with other attendees in private channels like workshops
- Discuss keynote and main session talks in designated channels
- Continue conversations well after the conference is over
Text and voice channels will be available for chat and networking.
How to join the IAC Discord
Go to Discord.com and start using Discord in your browser (Using Discord in the desktop app is more ideal, but not required).
Using IAC Discord
- Set your privacy settings
- Customize your Discord interface
- Set your notifications
- Optional: Grab roles for your profile
Follow the steps under “START HERE”
#》step-1-update-name — To change how your name is displayed in the IAC server.
#》step-2-profile-buttons — To grab a pronoun role for profile
#》step-3-confirm-registration — To make sure you have access to the channels you need
Please note that your email is not visible to anyone in Discord; thus, we’ll need to confirm your identity before giving you access to channels.
Backstage planning channels are available for volunteers. Access to these channels are managed by co-chairs and team leads. Please direct message them for access when you join the server.
Support channels are available for speakers and workshop presenters. Access to these channels are managed by co-chairs. Please direct message them for access when you join the server.
Help and Support
With all things new, Discord can take a little time to get used to, so feel free to play around with it before the conference starts. You may want to install and set up the Discord desktop app instead of using it via the browser.
You may also want to check out the official Discord guides and videos