This immersive workshop provides practical tactics for designing, building and maintaining taxonomies and ontologies. Based on hard-won lessons learned from work with everything from large fortune-50 enterprises to small ecommerce sites.
The workshop provides:
- Taxonomy/Ontology basics: a foundation to start creating a consistent vocabulary within your organization. We also call out the unique needs of building a taxonomy to serve the needs of large enterprises.
- A framework for shifting to an enterprise taxonomy model that meets the needs of your enterprise and the individual business units, systems, user profiles, and interfaces.
- Discussion of the impacts of a taxonomy project on technology, governance, workflows, marketing, analytics, search, compliance, and the interaction with master data management
- Practical tips for providing stakeholders with resources to navigate internal tensions around implementation
- Examples and case studies of large scale enterprise taxonomy projects.
About the speakers
Gary Carlson is a Principal at Factor, where he helps companies boost revenue, increase customer satisfaction, and improve efficiency through well-executed information and knowledge management initiatives. He keeps a weather eye on content strategy, IA, and UX – sea kayaking when possible.